During his time as a high school science teacher, Samuel grew to love the outdoors. Seeing the potential benefits of adventure for personal development, he decided that becoming more involved with outdoor education was the next step in life.
He has since lead many ‘journey type’ hiking trips with school groups, predominantly in the wilderness areas surrounding Loskop dam. While not guiding trips, Samuel can often be found rock climbing in areas near his home base of Pretoria. Samuel enjoys helping others get the most out of their outdoor experiences and always looks forward to the next adventure. Samuel has extensive experience with Rock climbing, hiking and abseiling.
Technical Guiding Qualifications
- Generic Site Guiding qualification with the following skills
- NQF Unit Standard 9283 Abseil Guide up to 60m height
- NQF Unit Standard 9284 Single Pitch Rock-Climbing Guide, including trad climbing.
- NQF Unit Standard 9288 Full Mountain Walking Guide, including off-trail, overnight and steep ground
- Tourist Guide Registration number: GP6039, National including all provinces
- NAUI scuba diving instructor
- BSc Chemistry (UP)
- PGCE, Post Graduate Certificate in Education (UNISA)
- First Aid Level 3
- Youth guiding for journey programs
- Youth guiding on president’s award hikes
- Responsible for the school rock-climbing club.
- SCUBA diving instructor
- High school Teaching 6 years